So you want to book a photoshoot? Here's 3 things to know! (+ PSYCHIC DOLPHINS!)Read More
This is a story about COOKIES!Read More
Some days you just need something PRETTY NERDY!Read More
Camp Halfblood VS Camp Jupiter!Read More
"We're looking for someone to share in an adventure... and take photos!Read More
Ohhhhhh, Dear Readers, I CAN'T FEEL MY FINGERS. The polar vortex holds my fair state in its icy grip! Winds howl! Snow falls in droves! But do we quail? Do we falter? NO! We endure... we forge on... and we emerge with PHOTOS! Photos of Heroes! Gods! And an insane photographer at work!
Behind The Scenes: Thor and Loki - Ohayocon 2014
Thor - worthythunder
Loki - Elendriel
Behind-The-Scenes Shots courtesy of: PotatoKraken Photography
Location 1 - Courtyard
We hoped for snow pictures, but unfortunately, it was too stormy to stay outdoors. You can see how strongly the wind was whipping Thor and Loki's hair! (They look like a shampoo commerical! :D)
Location 2 - Drury Inn walkway
Important rule of snow shoots - ALWAYS have a backup location! We grabbed a nearby hallway and lucked into some gorgeous golden-hour light! Thor and Loki began striding, owning it like the epic badasses they are! (While having a rousing discussion about Truth! Honor! Patriotism!)
It's official - I am old enough to say I've been going to cons for a decade. One third of my life. WHOAH.
To celebrate - 10 Photos, 10 Years!
Winter ain't coming, it's HERE! Have some tips for shooting in the snow! (and learn why chapstick is your BEST FRIEND. EVER.)Read More
In which CT had a pretty good year, and shares photos!Read More
Ooooh PRETTY COLORS! Yay! Here's some tips on how to shoot them!Read More
Never EVER ask a photographer what her favorite color is. Normal people say "black" or "purple." The photographer will answer "The color of maple trees in fall against a blue sky at 4:00 PM."
Then, when her friends look at her like she is crazy, she will grudgingly amend it to "red."
So yes, anyway, I adore fall. The blazing leaves add a kick to photos, and it's the last chance to run around in a sweater. Also pumpkins. Also Halloween costumes! It's a great time of year to shoot - here's a couple of tips to keep in mind.
- Visit the location before the shoot - Get an idea of the layout, and think about where you want to take your photos. If working with your kids, how old are they? How far will they be able to walk? Is there a playground? Water? Flowers?
- Shoot at peak color - Usually mid-to-late October.
- Best time to shoot is afternoon to early evening - Sunny day is good, cloudy is better. We are trying to avoid bright overhead sun that causes squinting and under-eye shadow. Also, turn OFF your auto flash - you have plenty of light!
- PLAY! - Don't worry too much about getting a perfectly posed picture. Make a huge leaf pile! Climb trees! Let them wage an Epic Leaf Battle! Just KEEP SHOOTING - you can pick your favorites later.
- Get down on the kid's level. - The most boring thing is finding an album full of shots of the tops of kids' heads.
BONUS - Fall
means Halloween! Wear your costumes - and invade the park with your own horde of ghouls and witches!
Shooting before Trick-or-Treat means
A.) Your zombies aren't howling for candy/brains yet and
B.) There's plenty of light to work with.
Good Fall Photoshoot locations in Ohio:
- Inniswood Metro Park (Love the playground and field areas)
- Prairie Oaks Metro Park (fall flowers as well as pretty trees)
- Alum Creek (lots of water to reflect the colors)
- Hocking Hills (great for a hiking day trip - don't miss Old Man's Cave!)
Reader Question Day! - "What's your favorite thing to shoot?"
Sneak Peek from the FIRST EVER Studio Day! Yay!Read More
Couples shoot at the Wexner Center!Read More
Matsuricon 2013 complete!
Enjoy the previews while I'm working on the photos!
Love local? Bright colors? Come visit Igloo Letterpress
Preview for the upcoming "Hello Sweetie" series!Read More
Where can you ride a PlasmaCar? What the heck IS a PlasmaCar?! Find out in this week's Local Tuesday!
Emperor's Newest Clothes is a great shop in the Short North with a constantly rotating riot of dresses and other fun clothes!
Full disclosure: My very very very favorite hat came from this store!
Matsuricon is OPEN! Have some photo highlights!Read More