So you want to book a photoshoot? Here's 3 things to know! (+ PSYCHIC DOLPHINS!)Read More
I will probably survive five seconds in a horror movie...Read More
"Honey, you should see me in a crown!"
Cosplay Group Feature - Sherlock - Katsucon 2014
"We are the Hunters."
Cosplay Group Feature - Attack On Titan - Katsucon 2014
Camp Halfblood VS Camp Jupiter!Read More
You did it! You've got a killer outfit, and you're ready for a photoshoot!
(Maybe even your very first one? AWESOME!)
Now what? No worries, today we've got it covered!
Hey look, even Statler and Waldorf give this a 10!Read More
"We're looking for someone to share in an adventure... and take photos!Read More
Ohhhhhh, Dear Readers, I CAN'T FEEL MY FINGERS. The polar vortex holds my fair state in its icy grip! Winds howl! Snow falls in droves! But do we quail? Do we falter? NO! We endure... we forge on... and we emerge with PHOTOS! Photos of Heroes! Gods! And an insane photographer at work!
Behind The Scenes: Thor and Loki - Ohayocon 2014
Thor - worthythunder
Loki - Elendriel
Behind-The-Scenes Shots courtesy of: PotatoKraken Photography
Location 1 - Courtyard
We hoped for snow pictures, but unfortunately, it was too stormy to stay outdoors. You can see how strongly the wind was whipping Thor and Loki's hair! (They look like a shampoo commerical! :D)
Location 2 - Drury Inn walkway
Important rule of snow shoots - ALWAYS have a backup location! We grabbed a nearby hallway and lucked into some gorgeous golden-hour light! Thor and Loki began striding, owning it like the epic badasses they are! (While having a rousing discussion about Truth! Honor! Patriotism!)
In which CT had a pretty good year, and shares photos!Read More
A Hobbit Week? HOW UNEXPECTED!Read More
Street fashion, bright colors, and Homestuck? Hello, shoot with all of my favorite things! YOUMACON 2013Read More
A bright morning dawned over the Hills of Hocking. Birds chirped. Tomatoes and eggs sizzled (oh yes, there were tomatoes!) As the sun rose higher, one Hobbit, four Dwarves, and a photographer set out for a (quite expected) journey!
Emma had the fine idea of shooting this Hobbit Lolita group at Hocking Hills State Park. So on Saturday, everyone donned their prettiest frocks, best hiking boots, and sallied forth! We braved many perils such as cliff walls, stone bridges, and probably a spider. Oh, and HEELS.
PORTRAIT: Leaux as Queen Under The Mountain
Light Set Up:
Strobe 1: Pointed at model
Strobe 2: On a ledge behind the model, to get some light on the wall.
I love how everyone looks so fancy in their dresses and I am dolled up in my high school Senior jacket! :P CLASS OF '02 YEAH!
(BTS photo by Ellie)
Stay tuned for more photos and Hobbity shenanigans!
Emma's Mama! Thanks for having us! :D
based on artwork by Siren
Want the latest from CTgraphy?
How about a free tutorial on how to get Better Photos in 5 Minutes?
NEAT! Get it all when you sign up for the Mailing List!
A goddess visits the Park of Roses!Read More
Mysterious experiments? Unexplained ooze? Welcome to Night Vale!
A behind-the-scenes look at how to build a MAD SCIENTIST'S lair out of a desk and old clocks!
Little Mermaid invades the Shedd Aquarium, and we make a SPLASH with the kids! (I wish this was the last fish pun... >:D)
Never EVER ask a photographer what her favorite color is. Normal people say "black" or "purple." The photographer will answer "The color of maple trees in fall against a blue sky at 4:00 PM."
Then, when her friends look at her like she is crazy, she will grudgingly amend it to "red."
So yes, anyway, I adore fall. The blazing leaves add a kick to photos, and it's the last chance to run around in a sweater. Also pumpkins. Also Halloween costumes! It's a great time of year to shoot - here's a couple of tips to keep in mind.
- Visit the location before the shoot - Get an idea of the layout, and think about where you want to take your photos. If working with your kids, how old are they? How far will they be able to walk? Is there a playground? Water? Flowers?
- Shoot at peak color - Usually mid-to-late October.
- Best time to shoot is afternoon to early evening - Sunny day is good, cloudy is better. We are trying to avoid bright overhead sun that causes squinting and under-eye shadow. Also, turn OFF your auto flash - you have plenty of light!
- PLAY! - Don't worry too much about getting a perfectly posed picture. Make a huge leaf pile! Climb trees! Let them wage an Epic Leaf Battle! Just KEEP SHOOTING - you can pick your favorites later.
- Get down on the kid's level. - The most boring thing is finding an album full of shots of the tops of kids' heads.
BONUS - Fall
means Halloween! Wear your costumes - and invade the park with your own horde of ghouls and witches!
Shooting before Trick-or-Treat means
A.) Your zombies aren't howling for candy/brains yet and
B.) There's plenty of light to work with.
Good Fall Photoshoot locations in Ohio:
- Inniswood Metro Park (Love the playground and field areas)
- Prairie Oaks Metro Park (fall flowers as well as pretty trees)
- Alum Creek (lots of water to reflect the colors)
- Hocking Hills (great for a hiking day trip - don't miss Old Man's Cave!)
Reader Question Day! - "What's your favorite thing to shoot?"
Sneak Peek from the FIRST EVER Studio Day! Yay!Read More
Couples shoot at the Wexner Center!Read More