A goddess visits the Park of Roses!Read More
Never EVER ask a photographer what her favorite color is. Normal people say "black" or "purple." The photographer will answer "The color of maple trees in fall against a blue sky at 4:00 PM."
Then, when her friends look at her like she is crazy, she will grudgingly amend it to "red."
So yes, anyway, I adore fall. The blazing leaves add a kick to photos, and it's the last chance to run around in a sweater. Also pumpkins. Also Halloween costumes! It's a great time of year to shoot - here's a couple of tips to keep in mind.
- Visit the location before the shoot - Get an idea of the layout, and think about where you want to take your photos. If working with your kids, how old are they? How far will they be able to walk? Is there a playground? Water? Flowers?
- Shoot at peak color - Usually mid-to-late October.
- Best time to shoot is afternoon to early evening - Sunny day is good, cloudy is better. We are trying to avoid bright overhead sun that causes squinting and under-eye shadow. Also, turn OFF your auto flash - you have plenty of light!
- PLAY! - Don't worry too much about getting a perfectly posed picture. Make a huge leaf pile! Climb trees! Let them wage an Epic Leaf Battle! Just KEEP SHOOTING - you can pick your favorites later.
- Get down on the kid's level. - The most boring thing is finding an album full of shots of the tops of kids' heads.
BONUS - Fall
means Halloween! Wear your costumes - and invade the park with your own horde of ghouls and witches!
Shooting before Trick-or-Treat means
A.) Your zombies aren't howling for candy/brains yet and
B.) There's plenty of light to work with.
Good Fall Photoshoot locations in Ohio:
- Inniswood Metro Park (Love the playground and field areas)
- Prairie Oaks Metro Park (fall flowers as well as pretty trees)
- Alum Creek (lots of water to reflect the colors)
- Hocking Hills (great for a hiking day trip - don't miss Old Man's Cave!)
Love local? Bright colors? Come visit Igloo Letterpress
Where can you ride a PlasmaCar? What the heck IS a PlasmaCar?! Find out in this week's Local Tuesday!
Emperor's Newest Clothes is a great shop in the Short North with a constantly rotating riot of dresses and other fun clothes!
Full disclosure: My very very very favorite hat came from this store!
Looking for gold skulls? Crazy wigs? Neat clothes?
You've come to the right place! This week, Local Tuesdays visits Rag-O-Rama, one of my very first thrift stores!
Local Tuesdays: Flower Child is a fantastic combination of your Grandma's attic, your aunt's kitchen, and the world's best garage sale!Read More
"Local Tuesdays" - a biweekly series on cool resources in the Columbus, OH area
This Week - visit Tigertree in the Short North!
A couple's photoshoot in the Park of Roses! (But oh no - there were no roses!)
What to do? Read on!